Thursday 30 April 2009

handmade wedding: bolero jacket

Photobucket

Big news (for me anyway!), I got married last Friday :)

I knew when I started planning the wedding that I wanted to incorporate as many handmade and crafty elements as possible. I kept my eyes peeled for inspiration on etsy, crafting blogs and bridal magazines.
I will blog about the handmade aspects of my wedding over the coming days.

I wanted to start with my favourite handmade item at the wedding, my bolero jacket.

Photobucket

The bolero was a wedding present from my Mum and Grandmother. My Grandmother is of the generation who made many of their own clothes. Post-war Britain was a very frugal place and my Gran has never lost that attitude. In her day she was a good seamstress, making coats, dresses, shirts and blouses. Now she is 89, she is no longer able to sew like she used to. But she purchased this beautiful organza fabric from John Lewis to make the bolero with.

Photobucket

After much searching, I chose a retro 1930s style pattern from SelmaLee on etsy. Her online store is packed with sewing patterns, many of them vintage, it's well worth a look.

Photobucket

My Mum kindly offered to do the sewing, and I think she did an amazing job. My bolero drew many compliments at the wedding and matched the dress perfectly.

Photobucket

I know that alot of thought and care went into making my wedding bolero and it is all the more special because of that fact. I will never part with it!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyed reading it. The Bolera is an outstanding piece of workmanship, my compliments and admiration to your Mother. You know, this is going to be one of those garments that get's handed down from generation to generation, and in a about 150 years will be donated to the V&A...really!

Anyway, thanks again. It was a lovely read, and I think I may have to Twitter this one!

Lorrie
x

Unknown said...

The bolero absolutely MAKES the dress. And the sentimental attachment to how and who it was made by, wow, it actually brought tears to my eyes. What lovely women you have in your life to support you. My hat is off to all of you! And congrats on the wedding, the photos look like it was quite the success and You Looked Mahvelouss!!

Me, You and Magoo said...

many thanks for the lovely comment Lorrie, I hope I can show it to my children and grandchildren! Who knows, maybe someone else in the family may wear it at their wedding!

Thanks Stacy, we did have a lovely day :) I prefer to have my arms covered up and many wedding dresses don't allow for this, so the bolero makes a perfect addition to a wedding outfit, I can't recommend them enough!!

Jennifer Doran-McNeill said...

Could you please tell me the Pattern number of the pattern that you bought for this and the company who made it? I have a friend who is getting married in a vintage 30's wedding dress and we have been hunting high and low for an appropriate jacket pattern for her (wedding in Glasgow in November so a jacket really is needed....) thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails